[R] Bug in "is" ?

Lucke, Joseph F Joseph.F.Lucke at uth.tmc.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:24:09 CEST 2008

Stefan
You are right.  Briefly put, the existence of 7 requires only Peano's
axiom for successive integers.  Strictly speaking, 7 is not an integer
but a natural number. But natural numbers can be embedded in the
integers which can be embedded in the rationals which can be embedded
the reals which can be embedded in the complex. Little of this is
relevant to a programming language's two basic storage modes for
numbers. Confusing a variable type with a mathematical set is an
elementary, if entertaining, logical error.
Joe