[R] Bug in "is" ?

Michael Grant mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 06:33:51 CEST 2008

Tie a rock to the 7 and tie another rock of equal mass to the 7.0. Throw them both into opposite ends of a large pond on the first Tuesday after after a new moon. If the former number floats it is not the integer 10. If the latter floats it likely is not the larger integer 13. This is because of the greater buoyancy of the '0'. Divide the difference (13-10) into 1 and you have 1/3, but you do not have 7 or even 7.0. Since this result is neither '7' nor '7.0', it absolutely must be a '7.'.  This is why pi is irrational.

Now, I hope that settles everything. It is easily demonstrated in four and a half lines of R code or one line of APL.

HTH :O)
Michael Grant