[R] Survey Package with Binary Data (no Standard Errors reported)

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:10:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get standard errors for some of the variables in my data
frame. One of the questions on my survey is whether faculty coordinate
across curriculum to include Arts Education as subject matter. All the
variables I have a 2 for those that responded with "Don't Know".

I'm getting NA for mean and standard deviations from svymean. Am I doing
something wrong of can the survey package not handle this type of data?

Here's my code.

 > survey <- svydesign(id=~1, data=General, strata=~Grade.Level)
Warning message:
In svydesign.default(id = ~1, data = General, strata = ~Grade.Level) :
  No weights or probabilities supplied, assuming equal probability

 > summary(survey)
Stratified Independent Sampling design (with replacement)
svydesign(id = ~1, data = General, strata = ~Grade.Level)
Probabilities:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
      1       1       1       1       1       1
Stratum Sizes:
           Elementary High Middle
obs               312  236    156
design.PSU        312  236    156
actual.PSU        312  236    156
Data variables:
 [1] "Grade.Level"                  "Curriculum"
 [3] "Field.Trips"                  "Residencies"
 [5] "PTA.Support"                  "Community.Open.Performances"
 [7] "Visual.Arts.Attendance"       "Literary.Arts.Attendance"
 [9] "Arts.Organization.Membership" "Arts.Essential"

 > svymean(~Curriculum, survey)
           mean SE
Curriculum   NA NA

???