[R] Survey Package with Binary Data (no Standard Errors reported)

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 6 11:56:36 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Paul Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get standard errors for some of the variables in my data frame.
> One of the questions on my survey is whether faculty coordinate across
> curriculum to include Arts Education as subject matter. All the responses are
> coded in zeros and ones obviously. For some of the other variables I have a 2
> for those that responded with "Don't Know".
>
> I'm getting NA for mean and standard deviations from svymean. Am I doing
> something wrong of can the survey package not handle this type of data?

Are you sure you don't have any NA values in the data? If you do, the
na.rm=TRUE option to svymean() will fix your problem. If you don't,
something mysterious is happening. You could try svytable(~Curriculum,
survey), which will give a tabulation and might show up what is strange
about your data.

As a separate issue, you might want to look at svyciprop() if some of your
proportions are close to 0 or 1, to get better confidence intervals.

> Here's my code.

Nothing obviously wrong with it.

 	-thomas