[R] Cross-platforms solution to export R graphs

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 10 00:39:57 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 09 avril 2009 à 15:04 +0200, Philippe Grosjean a écrit :
> Hello Rusers,
>
> I have worked on a R Wiki page for solutions in exporting R graphs,
> especially, the often-asked questions:
> - How can I export R graphs in vectorized format (EMF) for inclusion in
>   MS Word or OpenOffice outside of Windows?
> - What is the best solution(s) for post-editing/annotating R graphs.
>
> The page is at:
> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:export.
>
> I would be happy to receive your comments and suggestions to improve
> this document.

Well, if you insist ...

The PDF import plugin in OpenOffice is still beta, and some report deem
it difficult to install correctly an/or flaky.  Having checked that both
MSWord (>=2000) and OpenOffice (>=2.4) import and display correctly (i.
e. vectorially, including fonts) EPS files, I switched to this format,
most notably for use with the marvellous Max Kuhn's odfWeave package,
which is a *must* for us working in state/administrative/corporate salt
mines, where \LaTeX is deemed obscene and plain \TeX causes seizures ...
The point is that this format doesn't need any intermediary step, thus
allowing for automatisation. Be aware, however, that the embedded EPS
images are not editable in-place by OpenOffice nor, as far as I know, by
MS Word. But my point was to *avoid* post-production as much as humanly
possible (I tend to be inhumanly lazy...).

HTH,

					Emmanuel Charpentier