[R] Cross-platforms solution to export R graphs

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Apr 10 10:35:22 CEST 2009

Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> Le jeudi 09 avril 2009 à 15:04 +0200, Philippe Grosjean a écrit :
>> Hello Rusers,
>>
>> I have worked on a R Wiki page for solutions in exporting R graphs,
>> especially, the often-asked questions:
>> - How can I export R graphs in vectorized format (EMF) for inclusion in
>>   MS Word or OpenOffice outside of Windows?
>> - What is the best solution(s) for post-editing/annotating R graphs.
>>
>> The page is at:
>> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:export.
>>
>> I would be happy to receive your comments and suggestions to improve
>> this document.
>
> Well, if you insist ...
>
> The PDF import plugin in OpenOffice is still beta, and some report deem
> it difficult to install correctly an/or flaky.  Having checked that both
> MSWord (>=2000) and OpenOffice (>=2.4) import and display correctly (i.
> e. vectorially, including fonts) EPS files, I switched to this format,
> most notably for use with the marvellous Max Kuhn's odfWeave package,
> which is a *must* for us working in state/administrative/corporate salt
> mines, where \LaTeX is deemed obscene and plain \TeX causes seizures ...
> The point is that this format doesn't need any intermediary step, thus
> allowing for automatisation. Be aware, however, that the embedded EPS
> images are not editable in-place by OpenOffice nor, as far as I know, by
> MS Word. But my point was to *avoid* post-production as much as humanly
> possible (I tend to be inhumanly lazy...).

Ok, I understand your point of view. I tend to consider PDF import buggy
  in early trials, but now, the beta version seems fine and easy to
install on all tested platforms.

Also, using odfWeave and avoiding post-edition of graphs as much as
possible is certainly the best practice.

However, when you use EPS, you need a postscript printer to render the
graphs. So, this is an additional constraint to consider.

I will emphasize a little bit more the qualities of EPS in the document.

Thanks.

PhG