[R] broken example: lme() + multcomp() Tukey on repeated measures design

William Simpson william.a.simpson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:12:01 CEST 2009

I am trying to do Tukey HSD comparisons on a repeated measures expt.
I found the following example on r-help and quoted approvingly elsewhere.
It is broken. Can anyone please tell me how to get it to work?

I am using R 2.4.1.

> require(MASS) ## for oats data set
> require(nlme) ## for lme()
> require(multcomp) ## for multiple comparison stuff
> Aov.mod <- aov(Y ~ N + V + Error(B/V), data = oats)
> Lme.mod <- lme(Y ~ N + V, random = ~1 | B/V, data = oats)
> summary(Aov.mod)
> anova(Lme.mod)
> summary(Lme.mod)
> summary(glht(Lme.mod, linfct=mcp(V="Tukey")))
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object "Y" not found
Error in factor_contrasts(model) : no 'model.matrix' method for 'model' found!

It all went ok until the last line, where the actual Tukey multiple
comparisons was requested.

Thanks very much for any help!

Bill