[R] How to deal with multicollinearity in mixed models (with lmer)?

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sun Aug 16 19:46:00 CEST 2009

Hi, more generally you might be overfitting your model by interacting all of
the kidc polynomials with all of the year polynomials. Have a look at the
following example:

year=rep(1:4,each=25)
year=year-mean(year)
kids=c(sample(c(0:1),25,replace=T),sample(c(0:2),25,replace=T),sample(c(0:3)
,25,replace=T),sample(c(0:4),25,replace=T))

#kids and year are correlated
cor(year,kids)

#simulate error term
e=rnorm(100)

#compute an arbitrary dependent variable
y=kids+year+e

#true model
reg1=lm(y~kids+year)
summary(reg1)

#dummies for year
reg2=lm(y~kids+factor(year))
summary(reg2)

#"your" model with all sorts of interactions
reg3=lm(y~(kids+I(kids^2))*(year+I(year^2)))
summary(reg3)

#assess variance inflation
library(car)
vif(reg1)
vif(reg2)
vif(reg3)

Note first that in the first two models the correlation between kids and
year is basically not an issue even though the correlation is about 0.5.
However, note how you inflate the variance by including the interactions,
polynomials, and interacted polynomials between the correlated variables in
model reg3 (the first and third order polynomials and the second and fourth
order polynomials are, by necessety, always highly correlated). The
estimates in reg3 for the true effects are still pretty good though.
However, it may easily happen that you find some of the effects that are not
the "true" model significant due to overfitting and/or that you find true
effects insignificant due to variance inflation.

Thus, try a simpler model. Do you really need all the interactions and what
for? (If your previous post relates to the same data, collinearity should be
a minor issue, as the correlation is moderate at -0.25. The vif you computed
there also indicates that. But again, your creating and interacting all the
higher order polynomials makes things worse.

Further, is it reasonable to assume a "functional" relationship between
mortality and years? If not, you should fit year effects using dummy
variables or a random effect (the random effects model will only be unbiased
if the random effects are uncorrelated with the Xs, which is unlikely due to
the correlation of kidc and year). The nice thing about it is that the year
fixed effects model is unbiased in your case and spares you from including
polynomials for the year.

HTH,
Daniel

ps: If you want to model survival, you may want to think about using hazard
models instead.

cuncta stricte discussurus