[R] adding factor scores back to an incomplete dataset...

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 23:22:33 CEST 2009

Hi David,

>> I am doing a factor analysis on survey data with missing values. ... Is
>> there a way to subset
>> from my original data set that will work with factanal() and preserve the
>> original rows or that
>> will allow me to append the factor scores back onto the original dataset
>> with the proper
>> rows and NAs where there could be no data?

The "trick" is to call factanal with the formula interface, and to specify
na.action=na.exclude. This is documented under ?factanal &c and will put NAs
in the right place(s) to pad out scores.

## Dummy
T.fac <- factanal(~ SrvP+EdcT+EcnD+BdvP+EnvP, data=TTDat, factors=2,
na.action=na.exclude, scores="regression")

?na.exclude

Regards, Mark.