[R] adding factor scores back to an incomplete dataset...

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 25 23:40:13 CEST 2009

David -
    Here's the easiest way I've been able to come up with.
I'll provide some sample data to make things clearer (hint, hint):

> dat = data.frame(matrix(rnorm(100),20,5))
> dat[3,4] = NA
> dat[12,3] = NA
> scrs = factanal(na.omit(dat),factors=2,scores='regression')$scores
> rownames(scrs) = rownames(na.omit(dat))
> newdat = merge(dat,scrs,by=0,all.x=TRUE,sort=FALSE)

This will result in the observations with missing values being
at the end of the data frame.  If you want the original order
(assuming default row names), you could use

newdat[order(as.numeric(newdat$Row.names)),]

A somewhat more complicated approach is, in some sense, more direct:

> dat$Factor1 = NA
> dat$Factor2 = NA
> dat[rownames(na.omit(dat[,-c(6,7)])),c('Factor1','Factor2')] =
+    factanal(na.omit(dat[,-c(6,7)]),factors=2,scores='regression')$scores

The order of the data is preserved.
 					- Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics