[R] how to set column width of terminal output?

Michael Olberg michael.olberg at chalmers.se
Thu Dec 10 12:57:30 CET 2009

Hi,

I am new to this list and my question may be trivial, I did however not
find an answer to it using the help.search or RSiteSearch features of R.
This is my question:

R seems to break lines of terminal output at a column which is
independent of how wide I have made my terminal. I would have expected R
to honor the COLUMNS environment variable, but that seems not to be the
case. So is there an R internal variable I have to configure, something
like the fill-column of emacs?

If my terminal is wide enough to show a wide table, I want to be able to
print it like that and not have R print a first set of columns followed
by a second set.

thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Olberg                           <michael.olberg at chalmers.se>
SRON                                           tel: +31-(0)50-3638028