[R] how to set column width of terminal output?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 13:12:50 CET 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Michael Olberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list and my question may be trivial,

But the answer depends on the 'at a minimum' information requested in
the posting guide.  My comments below only apply to the standard
Unix-alike R and Rterm.exe.  Many other front-ends do set the width
from the console/terminal width.

> I did however not find an answer to it using the help.search or
> RSiteSearch features of R. This is my question:
>
> R seems to break lines of terminal output at a column which is independent of
> how wide I have made my terminal. I would have expected R to honor the
> COLUMNS environment variable, but that seems not to be the case. So is there
> an R internal variable I have to configure, something like the fill-column of
> emacs?
>
> If my terminal is wide enough to show a wide table, I want to be able to
> print it like that and not have R print a first set of columns followed by a
> second set.

?options, look for 'width'.  You could add something like

options(width=Sys.getenv("COLUMNS"))

to a startup file if you have COLUMNS set in your environment.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk