[R] plot merging/compression with R

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Mon Dec 14 01:25:45 CET 2009

Hi,

If your PDFs are huge, I suggest you use a different type of plot that
does not explicitly plot millions of data points, but rather produces
some sort of summary. Examples are box plots, or hexagonal binning
(hexbin package).

-Felix

2009/12/14 Walther, Alexander <awalthermail at googlemail.com>:
> Dear list,
>
> i just encountered a problem concerning the export of multiple plots. is
> it possible to merge several PNGs into one PDF document? i know that
> this could be easily done by pdf(), but the outcome of this is /way/ too
> huge (> 15 MB, four plots) and to my knowledge there's no way to
> compress PDFs directly in R. Hence the PNGs that are saved one at a time
> and afterwards merged by Adobe Acrobat.  Since i would like to
> automatize this process, can this be done by R? Alternatively, is there
> a way to compress a PDF of multiple pages right away?
>
> cheers
>
> Alex

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Postdoctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 4670