[R] hierarchical model in R

albina le_albina at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 23:51:37 CET 2009

Hi!

I have the following situation of mixture distributions:

The number of eggs, N, laid by a female of certain species of butterfly
follows a Poisson(F) distribution, where the fertility F follows an
exponential distribution with expectation 1/lambda. Each egg hatches with
probability p, and approximately half of the eggs develop into females.
Simulate sets of 1000 and 5000 samples for the number eggs hatching, and the
corresponding number of females for each group of eggs. Draw histograms for
the two variables and use your data for obtaining the mean and variance of
the number of eggs hatching and the number of females. Use the following
combinations of parameters:

lambda     p
100         0.4
100         0.2
50           0.4
50           0.8

So far I have

F=rexp(1000, 1/100)
N=rpois(1000,F)
X=rbinom(N, 1000,0.4)
hist(X)

I've done the same for all the values but I'm not sure

Thanks in advance,
albina