[R] trouble with model.tables SE means

Jon Prince jonprinc at buffalo.edu
Tue Dec 22 23:19:35 CET 2009

David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Jon Prince wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm new to R, with some experience with Matlab and SPSS. I've
>> figured out how to run my repeated measures anova and am getting the
>> right numbers for my effects (comparing with results from other
>> software), but am having trouble with the model.tables function.
>> Specifically, using:
>>
>> prints the means, but then won't do the SE values, instead giving:
>>
>>   Warning message:
>> In model.tables.aovlist(fm, "means", se = TRUE) :
>> SEs for type 'means' are not yet implemented"
>>
>> Asking for SEs for "effects" works fine, but that's not what I want.
>> I searched the help for this issue and one other person has had this
>> problem last year
>> (http://markmail.org/message/k5yxxqcfiihvzvtp?q=list:r-project+model%2Etables),
>> but the person helping them was unable to replicate it, inferring
>> that it was an out-of-date version. My version is:
>>
>>   R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
>>
>> I only downloaded it the other day, and therefore cannot have an
>> outdated version. How can I fix this error and get my SE values?
>> Apologies if I have not provided sufficient information, and thanks
>> in advance for your help.
>
> When I look at the output of the first model.tables call copied from
> the help page, I see a list element that holds "se" values. Try:
>
> model.tables(fm,"means",se=TRUE)$se

Thanks for the rapid reply! Unfortunately adding the $se returns NULL,
and repeats the same warning message ("...not yet implemented"). If
you're not experiencing the issue, is it possible for me to replace the
relevant code/source file with what you have (or would that require
recompiling)? Could this be an OS issue? I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.2.

By the way, I "replied all" on this message, but let me know if that is
not the preferred convention. Cheers,

Jon

--
Jon Prince