[R] trouble with model.tables SE means

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 23:50:12 CET 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Jon Prince wrote:

> David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Jon Prince wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm new to R, with some experience with Matlab and SPSS. I've
>>> figured out how to run my repeated measures anova and am getting
>>> the right numbers for my effects (comparing with results from
>>> other software), but am having trouble with the model.tables
>>> function. Specifically, using:
>>>
>>> prints the means, but then won't do the SE values, instead giving:
>>>
>>>  Warning message:
>>> In model.tables.aovlist(fm, "means", se = TRUE) :
>>> SEs for type 'means' are not yet implemented"
>>>
>>> Asking for SEs for "effects" works fine, but that's not what I
>>> want. I searched the help for this issue and one other person has
>>> had this problem last year (http://markmail.org/message/k5yxxqcfiihvzvtp?q=list:r-project+model%2Etables
>>> ), but the person helping them was unable to replicate it,
>>> inferring that it was an out-of-date version. My version is:
>>>
>>>  R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
>>>
>>> I only downloaded it the other day, and therefore cannot have an
>>> outdated version. How can I fix this error and get my SE values?
>>> Apologies if I have not provided sufficient information, and
>>> thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> When I look at the output of the first model.tables call copied
>> from the help page, I see a list element that holds "se" values. Try:
>>
>> model.tables(fm,"means",se=TRUE)$se
>>

> Thanks for the rapid reply! Unfortunately adding the $se returns
> NULL, and repeats the same warning message ("...not yet
> implemented"). If you're not experiencing the issue, is it possible
> for me to replace the relevant code/source file with what you have
> (or would that require recompiling)? Could this be an OS issue? I'm
> running Mac OSX 10.6.2.
>
> By the way, I "replied all" on this message, but let me know if that
> is not the preferred convention. Cheers,

cluelessness. I'm running MacOSX 10.5.8 so it would seem less likely
that is the explanation.

1) Did you run the example in the help pages?

2) When I look at :

 > methods(model.tables)
[1] model.tables.aov*     model.tables.aovlist*

... I see both an "aov" method and an "aovlist" method. Is it possible
that there is something about the object that you are working on that
makes it an aovlist at thus invokes a different function than what the
help page invokes?

The code would not require complination... it's available with
getAnywhere() and I do not see any calls to compiled or .Internal
subroutines. Tell me what happens with the above questions first.

--
David

> Jon

David Winsemius, MD