[R] trouble with model.tables SE means

Jon Prince jonprinc at buffalo.edu
Wed Dec 23 02:52:28 CET 2009

David Winsemius wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Jon Prince wrote:
>>
>> David Winsemius wrote:

>>> When I look at the output of the first model.tables call copied from
>>> the help page, I see a list element that holds "se" values. Try:
>>>
>>> model.tables(fm,"means",se=TRUE)$se
>>>

>> Thanks for the rapid reply! Unfortunately adding the $se returns
>> NULL, and repeats the same warning message ("...not yet
>> implemented"). If you're not experiencing the issue, is it possible
>> for me to replace the relevant code/source file with what you have
>> (or would that require recompiling)? Could this be an OS issue? I'm
>> running Mac OSX 10.6.2.
>>
>> By the way, I "replied all" on this message, but let me know if that
>> is not the preferred convention. Cheers,

> cluelessness. I'm running MacOSX 10.5.8 so it would seem less likely
> that is the explanation.
>
> 1) Did you run the example in the help pages?
>
> 2) When I look at :
>
> > methods(model.tables)
> [1] model.tables.aov*     model.tables.aovlist*
>
> ... I see both an "aov" method and an "aovlist" method. Is it possible
> that there is something about the object that you are working on that
> makes it an aovlist at thus invokes a different function than what the
> help page invokes?
>
> The code would not require complination... it's available with
> getAnywhere() and I do not see any calls to compiled or .Internal
> subroutines. Tell me what happens with the above questions first.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been trying to work out the
discrepancy between my data and the example data in terms of getting the
SE means.

1.) Upon trying the example, it appears to work on my machine (i.e., I
get the SE means). Since then I've been spending my time trying to
figure out why it doesn't do the same for my data. I can't figure it out.

2.) Given my lack of experience, it is quite possible that I've loused
up an object somewhere, but I don't know how to track that down. I have
put my code below, and can send the data file too if you're willing to
take a look. Both the p and t factors have three levels, combined
factorially. There are four replications of each p-t combination, and
the rating data vary from 1 to 7.

##load data
    rate_data<-read.table("/Users/jonprince/Desktop/attend_pitch_3p3t.txt")
##set factors
    p<-factor(rate_data$V3)
    t<-factor(rate_data$V2)
    subject<-factor(rate_data$V1)
##set data
    rate<-rate_data$V4
##run anova
    fm<-aov(rate ~ p*t + Error(subject/(p*t)),rate_data)
##get summary
    summary(fm)
##tables
    model.tables(fm,"means",se=TRUE)

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Jon

--
Jon Prince
Postdoctoral Research Associate