[R] trouble with model.tables SE means

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 04:12:53 CET 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 8:52 PM, Jon Prince wrote:

> David Winsemius wrote:

>>> Thanks for the rapid reply! Unfortunately adding the $se returns
>>> NULL, and repeats the same warning message ("...not yet
>>> implemented"). If you're not experiencing the issue, is it
>>> possible for me to replace the relevant code/source file with what
>>> you have (or would that require recompiling)? Could this be an OS
>>> issue? I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.2.
>>>
>>> By the way, I "replied all" on this message, but let me know if
>>> that is not the preferred convention. Cheers,

>> cluelessness. I'm running MacOSX 10.5.8 so it would seem less
>> likely that is the explanation.
>>
>> 1) Did you run the example in the help pages?
>>
>> 2) When I look at :
>>
>> > methods(model.tables)
>> [1] model.tables.aov*     model.tables.aovlist*
>>
>> ... I see both an "aov" method and an "aovlist" method. Is it
>> possible that there is something about the object that you are
>> working on that makes it an aovlist at thus invokes a different
>> function than what the help page invokes?
>>
>> The code would not require complination... it's available with
>> getAnywhere() and I do not see any calls to compiled or .Internal
>> subroutines. Tell me what happens with the above questions first.
>>

> Sorry for the delayed response, I've been trying to work out the
> discrepancy between my data and the example data in terms of getting
> the SE means.
>
> 1.) Upon trying the example, it appears to work on my machine (i.e.,
> I get the SE means). Since then I've been spending my time trying to
> figure out why it doesn't do the same for my data. I can't figure it
> out.
>
> 2.) Given my lack of experience, it is quite possible that I've
> loused up an object somewhere, but I don't know how to track that
> down. I have put my code below, and can send the data file too if
> you're willing to take a look. Both the p and t factors have three
> levels, combined factorially. There are four replications of each p-
> t combination, and the rating data vary from 1 to 7.
>
> ##load data
>   rate_data<-read.table("/Users/jonprince/Desktop/
> attend_pitch_3p3t.txt")
> ##set factors
>   p<-factor(rate_data$V3)
>   t<-factor(rate_data$V2)
>   subject<-factor(rate_data$V1)
> ##set data
>   rate<-rate_data$V4
> ##run anova
>   fm<-aov(rate ~ p*t + Error(subject/(p*t)),rate_data)

But, but, but, ... none of those objects (p,t,subject, rate) are part
of rate_data!

> ##get summary
>   summary(fm)
> ##tables
>   model.tables(fm,"means",se=TRUE)

Without more information, I would be flailing around, and even then I
am not particularly experienced with the aov framework. My guess is
that you will get better advice on the R-mixed-models-SIG. I would
offer more information to that group, at a minimum the output of str
on rate_data (once you actually create the variables IN rate_data.)

--
David

> Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
>
> Jon
>

> --
> Jon Prince
> Postdoctoral Research Associate