[R] Is SEM package of R suitable for sem analysis

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sun Dec 27 22:16:44 CET 2009

Well, I guess it will be extremely difficult to persuade your teacher
to use the sem package in R. AFAIK, AMOS and LISREL have become the
golden standard for SEM in China, and SEM has become a golden model
for analysis in social science and psychology. I have been a cynic to
SEM for a long time, because I strongly believe this model has been
completely abused, and perhaps the "easy-to-use" AMOS has been helping
people abuse SEM. A common phenomenon I see is, people do not care
about the model at all - all they care about is whether AMOS can
successfully compute the coefficients; if AMOS failed, they will try
to (randomly) set constraints to the model, i.e. add/remove this
arrow, drag some variables into/out of the model, set this
coefficient/variance to 1.

Anyway, I encourage you to ask your teacher why AMOS is "more
suitable". I have a couple of very ridiculous stories about the SEM
software, in which I can only feel the blind faith in software.
Sigh...

The good thing is, R is open source, so is the sem package. You can
see everything in it, and you can extend it as you wish (in case your
teacher think it is less suitable).

Regards,
Yihui
--