[R] installing R on Ubuntu

Paul Heinrich Dietrich paul.heinrich.dietrich at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 21:23:38 CET 2009

I'm definitely out of my league here, but I think that if someone only enters
that code in an Ubuntu system, then they will have only the latest version
of R in Ubuntu, which at this time I think is 2.6.2, instead of 2.8.1, and
Ubuntu only "maintains" a handful of packages, instead of 1600+ right now on
CRAN.  If you want to get the latest R in Ubuntu and download any current
package, it seems like you have to follow a method like I've tried to piece
together.  I hope I'm wrong here.  Cheers.