[R] OT: A test with dependent samples.

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 00:37:45 CET 2009

Still seems that McNemar's test is the appropriate test for the
matched design, but my first answer sent the input to the function
incorrectly, and it's not clear that a normal theory test would be
accurate in all instances. The matrix should have 61 cats with no
vomiting under either situation, 12 cats vomiting in the condition of
piroxicam, no cats vomiting prior to treatment no cats vomiting under
both situations):

 > mcnemar.test(matrix(c(61,0,12,0),2,2))

	McNemar's Chi-squared test with continuity correction

data:  matrix(c(61, 0, 12, 0), 2, 2)
McNemar's chi-squared = 10.0833, df = 1, p-value = 0.001496

It's very close to 1/2 the value of Bolker's calculation, but the
"sidedness" is not specified in the output. Rosner's text
"Fundamentals of Biostatistics" also describes an exact analogue of
the Normal theory test.

--
David Winsemius