[R] Problem with loading rJava in R

charis charis at kaskiris.com
Thu Feb 12 22:27:55 CET 2009

Thank you for helping.

I am running the 32-bit version of R on a 64-bit Windows XP machine. After
reinstalling the rJava package I started getting a windows pop up with the
message:

Rgui.exe - Unable to Locate Component
"This application has failed to start because jvm.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

I have installed the 32-bit version of Java, added the jvm.dll to the
Windows PATH environment variable
I have also reinstalled R.

I still get the error below without any pop-up message:
> library(rJava)
 Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
   unable to load shared library
 'C:/R/R-2.7.2/library/rJava/libs/rJava.dll':
   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.

 Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rJava'
 Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava'

Thanks for the help

charis