[R] distance betwenn axis and axis annotation

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:50:27 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>> I don't think you can do this directly, but you can do it using mtext.

This is not correct. You can, as Dimitris has already shown. See ?par (sub
mgp). The difficulty arises if you want only one set of axes changed, which
is not what was requested.

## Example using your "example"
par(mfrow = c(1, 2))
x <- 1:10
y <- rnorm(10)

plot(x,y, axes=F)
box()
at <- pretty(x)
min <- par("usr")[1]
max <- par("usr")[2]
at <- at[ at >= min & at <= max]  # pretty extends the range
axis(1, at=at, labels=FALSE)
mtext(at, side=1, at=at, line=3)

plot(x, y, mgp = c(3, 3, 0))

Regards, Mark.