[R] difference between assignment syntax <- vs =

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Mon Feb 23 10:34:05 CET 2009

Since this topic came up, I've been thinking that
that sentence needs more work.

The "standard" is not from me -- I'm a bit more
agnostic than the statement although I personally
always use '<-'.  I'm thinking a revised version
might be something along the lines of:

Standard advice from most long-time R users is
to avoid using '=' when you mean '<-'.  However,
as long as you avoid the traps, it is really a matter
of taste.

Rejoinders, etc. will be considered for whenever
a revised Inferno appears.

Pat