[R] difference between assignment syntax <- vs =

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:51:02 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Patrick Burns wrote:

> Since this topic came up, I've been thinking that
> that sentence needs more work.
>
> The "standard" is not from me -- I'm a bit more
> agnostic than the statement although I personally
> always use '<-'.  I'm thinking a revised version
> might be something along the lines of:
>
> Standard advice from most long-time R users is
> to avoid using '=' when you mean '<-'.  However,
> as long as you avoid the traps, it is really a matter
> of taste.

Although it's probably true that most long-time R users use <-, this is at least in part because a long-time R user would initially have had to use <-, since = wasn't available in the distant past.

I would say that it's entirely a matter of taste -- the things that otherwise could have been traps are mostly syntax errors.  The only proviso is that if you post code using = it is (even more) important to leave spaces around the = than it would be for <-.

      -thomas