[R] Installing different versions of R simultaneously on Linux

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:50:22 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> This is really an R-devel question.

sorry about the wrong list.

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to install some versions of R simultaneously from source on a
>> computer (running Linux). Some programs have an option to specify a
>> suffix for the executable (eg R would become R-2.7.2 when the suffix
>> is specified as "-2.7.2"). I did not find this option for R - did I
>> overlook it?
>>
>> If it is not, how is it possible to have several versions of R on one
>> computer, or is the only way to compile them and then call R in the
>> directory of the version where it was compiled (~/R-2.7.2/bin/R)?
>>
>> If this is the case, would it be possible to add this o[ptiuon to
>> specify the suffix for the executables?
>
> 'R' is not an executable, but a shell script.
>
> You can use 'prefix' to install R anywhere, or other variables for more
> precise control (see the R-admin manual).  For example, we use rhome to have
> R 2.8.x under /usr/local/lib64/R-2.8 etc.
>
> And you can rename $prefix/bin/R to, say, R-2.7.2, or link R_HOME/bin/R to
> anywhere in yout path, under any name you choose.

OK - so the proceuder will be: if I want to install R 2.7.2 without
impacting on my existing installation of R (which is done by a package
manager), I use
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/bin/R-2.7.2
> make
> ln -s /usr/R-2.7.2/bin/R /usr/bin/R-2.7.2

and when I use
> R-2.7.2

it will start R 2.7.2

I can continue with as many installed version as I want

Thanks a lot,
that was what I was looking for

Rainer