[R] add absolute value to bars in barplot

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Fri Feb 27 14:26:05 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:32:45PM +0100, soeren.vogel at eawag.ch wrote:
> barplot(twcons.area,
>   beside=T, col=c("green4", "blue", "red3", "gray"),
>   xlab="estate",
>   ylab="number of persons", ylim=c(0, 110),
>   legend.text=c("treated", "mix", "untreated", "NA"))
>
> produces a barplot very fine. In addition, I'd like to get the bars'
> absolute values on the top of the bars. How can I produce this in an
> easy way?

barplot() returns a vector of midpoints so you can use text() to add the
annotation. There is an example in the manual page of barplot:

mp <- barplot(VADeaths)
tot <- colMeans(VADeaths)
text(mp, tot + 3, format(tot), xpd = TRUE, col = "blue")

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik