[R] runif limited precision

Stavros Macrakis macrakis at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 3 01:33:32 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> I don't agree.  If you add too much technical detail to a topic, then people
> don't "work through it".  I'd say the r<dist> pages generally give enough
> detail now, but not too much.  If you add every detail that might interest
> someone somewhere, then they'd all be hard to read.

Duncan, Daniel,

Thanks for your responses.

I agree that it's a delicate balance between too little and too much
information on individual documentation pages -- especially when, as
in this case, a number of different functions (r<dist>) share some
content (RNG).  That said, I find in general that R documentation
pages are somewhat on the "too little" side. In particular, I'd find
it useful if there were more references to synthetic overviews: a link
from the connection page to an overview of I/O; a link from the runif
page to an overview of distributions; etc.

           -s