[R] R in the NY Times

Tony Breyal tony.breyal at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:11:52 CET 2009

“We have customers who build engines for aircraft. I am happy they are
not using freeware when I get on a jet.”

The lady who made this comment, Anne H. Milley, director of technology
product marketing at SAS, has written a response to try and clarify
what she meant (funilly enough, i got this link from a SAS mate of
mine who is now going to have a look into R for the first time):

http://blogs.sas.com/sascom/index.php?/archives/434-This-post-is-rated-R.html

[quote]
"As for open source and my airplane quote …

My remark reflects a key difference between R and SAS, that of
support, reliability, and validation. Customers value SAS for many
things, including our extensive testing, documentation, 24/7 support,
and training. In contrast, the quality of proliferating R packages is
varied and uneven, especially in complex analytical modules. Mistakes
in these packages can lead to misleading results, even for experienced
users.

The airplane comment was meant to point out this key difference. Not
to condemn open source. In fact, SAS values open-source software. Our
software runs on Linux. We use some open-source tools in development.
And we plan to embrace open source further in the future.

The world has many complex problems. We advocate approaches based on
science, on analysis to address these problems. Making more analytic
methods readily available is a good thing. From SAS; from R; from the
resourceful individuals who innovate with their tools of choice,
regardless of the source."
[end quote]