[R] Useful books for learning the R software and the S programming language

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 23:37:27 CET 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Robert Wilk wrote:

> any useful books for learning the R statistical software?
> are they pricey?

Compared to medical texts, they are dirt cheap.

> and if the books recommended focus on S, how compatible will they be
> for
> someone learning R?

Many are available for R these days. It used to be that MASS editions
1 through 4 by Venables and Ripley were the canonical starting points,
but in recent years Dalgaard and other have contributed efforts at
intro and intermediate texts. Cutting and pasting from the R-books page:
http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html

[18] 	Peter Dalgaard. Introductory Statistics with R.
[49] 	John Verzani. Using R for Introductory Statistics.
[48] 	Michael J. Crawley. Statistics: An Introduction using R.
[62] 	William N. Venables and Brian D. Ripley. Modern Applied
Statistics with S. Fourth Edition. (mentions only S in the title but I
believe that where differences exist, they are pointed out in this
edition.)
[63] 	John Fox. An R and S-Plus Companion to Applied Regression.
[65] 	Frank E. Harrell. Regression Modeling Strategies, with
Applications to Linear Models, Survival Analysis and Logistic
Regression. (I don't think Harrell intended this as a tutorial but I
can't resist a plug. Alzola and Harrell have published a useful book
length guide:
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/RS/sintro.pdf

And Kuhnert and Venables have also written a book length pdf:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Kuhnert+Venables-R_Course_Notes.zip

> thank you in advance for your help.
>

> P.S.
> specialized survey statistical procedures? Is R good at that?

See whether Lumley's survey package functions are sufficient.
Knowledgeable people have opined that they are more complete than what
is available in SAS.

http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/

--
David Winsemius, MD