[R] deviance in polr method

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 16:06:04 CET 2009

Withut looking up your reference, are you not comparing grouped and
ungrouped deviances?  And polr() does not say anything about accepting
a model (or not), only about the comparison between two models.

'Deviances' are in comparison with some 'saturated' model, and I would
say that M&N are comparing with a separate fit to each group, polr()
with correctly predicting each observation.  Both are valid, but refer
to different questions.