[R] Does anyone has this paper in pdf?

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:43:37 CET 2009

Rolf Turner-3 wrote:

> Is this really a violation of copyright?  If I have a copy of a
> journal I believe
> it is within the compass of ``fair practice'' (or some such jargon)
> to make a photocopy
> of a particular article and give this copy to a colleague or student
> for research
> purposes.  Likewise I believe it is ``fair practice'' for me to send
> a copy of a pdf
> file (that I have legitimately acquired) to a colleague or student
> for research
> purposes.

Yes I believe it would constitute a breach of copyright.  I looked up the
copyright information at the local University (see
http://www.shef.ac.uk/library/services/copyrigh.html ) and I'd imagine its
similar elsewhere.

The particular point regarding copying is probably
http://www.shef.ac.uk/library/services/copyrules.html and this sentence is
the most pertinent...

"A key feature of the 1988 Act is that anyone wishing to make a single copy
of a short extract from any book, journal or newspaper for the purposes of
research for a non-commercial purpose or private study, is likely to be able
to do so under the "fair dealing" provisions."

Its slightly ambiguous but I'd imagine that its an individual who has to
make the copy for themselves.  If copying material for others were
permissible then as Wacek points out the whole thing would break down as it
could then go on ad nauseum.

Note there is a link to issues dealing with teaching material, and I'd
imagine colleagues at your institution are likely to have the same access
rights, so technically its just as easy to send them a link to download a
paper themselves.

Rolf Turner-3 wrote:

> It always gets fussy and fiddly whenever legal issues arise.  It
> would be nice if there
> were no such thing as ``intellectual property'' (which has always
> seemed to me to be
> an oymoron) and no such thing as lawyers.

I agree access to all research should be open, particularly if its been
funded by public bodies.  A series of videos from BioMed Central on the
issue of Open Acccess is at
http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=49C6909B5770663A

Neil