[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 23 15:57:19 CET 2009

On 1/23/2009 9:44 AM, drflxms wrote:
> Dear Mr. Murdoch, Dear Mr. Ripley, Dear Mr. Wang,
>
> thank you very much for your quick and efficient help! It is exactly as
> Duncan explained it: Including jvm.dll in PATH solved the problem
> immediately. Everything works fine now.
>
> The only thing is, that I do not understand why I had to do this
> manualy, as I installed Java Runtime Environment a long time ago,
> updated frequently and never encountered any difficulties in using Java
> software.

If you look at rJava:::.onLoad now that you can load the package, you'll
see that it goes through a number of tests to try to find the right
path.  Those work on my system (and presumably on Simon Urbanek's, the
rJava maintainer), but not on yours.  It might be helpful to him if you
could find some small change to his search that would work on systems
like yours, even without adding the jvm.dll path to the general PATH.
(I don't have it in mine.)

Duncan Murdoch