[R] Stat textbook recommendations?

Daniel Viar dan.viar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:17:15 CET 2009

You might want to check out the following:

http://www.stochas.org/
http://www1.appstate.edu/~arnholta/PASWR/index.htm
http://turtle.gis.umn.edu/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/StatisticsandDatawithR/HomePage
http://www.janehorgan.com/

I own all of these books and like them.

The book by Dr. Jan Horgan:
"Probability with R: An Introduction with Computer Science
Applications" is nice in that it's quick and right to the point.
Don't let the title fool you, there's plenty of information applicable
to all fields.

The book by Dr. Kenneth Baclawski:
"Introduction to Probability with R" is has more theory than the
previous book and also has lots of worked problems.

The other two books are general prob/stat books, I find they're both
extremely well written with the Arnholt book with a little more
theory.

All of these books start from first principles (no required stat
background, just some math) but I suspect that all of these may be a
good next step to bridge the gaps that you mention.  In addition, I
think that owners of PASWR and SADWR may be able to get a solution
manual from the author (if you're working on your own and not taking a
class).

Cheers,

Dan Viar
Chesapeake, VA