[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Fri Jan 23 21:40:16 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> > Slightly different for me, but failure:
> >
> > jvm.dll is on path (checked successfully with "where jvm.dll")
>
>  From within R?  Remember that the PATH is process-specific.  Maybe your
> shell added something that put jvm.dll on its path, but you didn't start
> Rgui from there.
>
> In any case, looking at the .onLoad, it appears the easiest thing to do
> is to define the environment variable JAVA_HOME.  The startup code puts
> $JAVA_HOME/bin, $JAVA_HOME/bin/client, and $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/client
> onto the end of the path, so things should work if at least one of those
> has your jvm.dll in it.

JAVA_HOME had been defined (that's how I started, after reading the c code).

In RGui

> shell("where jvm.dll")
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll

> shell("set JAVA_HOME")
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

And yet : the dialog box as mentioned, and, after clicking Ok:

Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared library
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-28~1.0/library/rJava/libs/rJava.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rJava'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava'

If it matters: same problem from Rterm. To be sure it is not a security
problem under Vista, I also run both RGui and Rterm as admin. Same.

Dieter