[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Jan 24 01:14:38 CET 2009

Dieter Menne wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:
>

>>> Slightly different for me, but failure:
>>>
>>> jvm.dll is on path (checked successfully with "where jvm.dll")
>>>
>>  From within R?  Remember that the PATH is process-specific.  Maybe your
>> shell added something that put jvm.dll on its path, but you didn't start
>> Rgui from there.
>>
>> In any case, looking at the .onLoad, it appears the easiest thing to do
>> is to define the environment variable JAVA_HOME.  The startup code puts
>> $JAVA_HOME/bin, $JAVA_HOME/bin/client, and $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/client
>> onto the end of the path, so things should work if at least one of those
>> has your jvm.dll in it.
>>

> JAVA_HOME had been defined (that's how I started, after reading the c code).
>

> In RGui
>

>> shell("where jvm.dll")
>>
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll
>

>> shell("set JAVA_HOME")
>>
> JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

That doesn't last beyond the shell call, as far as I know.  It starts a
process to run the shell, sets the environment variable in that process,
then the process dies and the setting dies with it.  If you want a
permanent setting, you should set it in the Rgui process, via Sys.setenv().

Duncan Murdoch