[R] getOptions("max.print") in R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 1 14:20:35 CEST 2009

On 01/07/2009 8:04 AM, saurav pathak wrote:
> I am typing the following on the command prompt:
>
>> variab = read.csv(file.choose(), header=T)
>
>> variab
>
> It lists 900,000 ( this is the total number of observations in "variab" )
> minus 797124 observations and prompts the following message
>
> [ reached getOption("max.print") -- omitted 797124 entries ]]
>
> Is there a way to see the entire set of data, ie all of 900,000 obs,

You can set max.print to a larger value, e.g. options(max.print=Inf),
and then the whole thing will print.  It won't be very useful to do that
at the console, because most consoles don't have an infinite buffer, but
if you're redirecting output to a file, it might be reasonable.

 > and how
 > to then save this "variab"

I don't understand this question.  Nothing about variab was lost, it
just wasn't printed for you.  You can save it just like any other
variable, using save(variab, file=...) to save in binary format.

Duncan Murdoch