[R] productivity tools in R?

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Jul 3 20:14:04 CEST 2009

Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote:

> The Windows GUI was written before the Mac GUI, and was written using a
> fairly strange toolkit, which are two reasons the Mac looks prettier.
> But the Windows GUI has a few advantages over the Mac:
>
> (snip)
>
>   You can copy from the console, prompts and all, and paste just the
> commands, to re-execute a sequence of commands.

I recently noticed that the Mac GUI contains a way to do block selection- so
you can select just the code you want to copy and exclude the prompts. Just
hold down the option key and the text cursor will turn into a crosshair
which allows you to exclude the prompt column while you select.

Even better, this behavior is somewhat universal as it works in other
applications such as the Terminal. I find it particularly useful for copying
code out of Vim without getting Vim's line numbers wrapped up in my
selections.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen