[R] naming of columns in R dataframe consisting of mixed data (alphanumeric and numeric)

Etienne B. Racine etiennebr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 21:49:14 CEST 2009

Mary A. Marion-2 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an r function that creates the following dataframe tresults2.
> Notice that column 1 does not have a column heading.
>
> Tresults2:
>                  [,1]
> estparam     18.00000
> nullval      20.00000
> . . .
> ciWidth       2.04622
> HalfInterval  1.02311
>
> pertinent code:
> results<-cbind( estparam, nullval, t, pv_left, pv_right, pv_two_t,
> estse, df,  cc, tbox, llim, ulim, ciWidth, HalfInterval)
> tresults<-round((results),5)
> tresults2<-data.frame(t(tresults))
> names(tresults2)<-c("Statistic ", "Value")
> tresults2
>
> ===========================================================================================
> After transposing my dataframe tresults2 consists of 2 columns.
> Col1=alphanumeric data (this really is a variable name) and
> col2=numeric data (this is value of varaiable).
>
> how do I name columns when columns are different (alphanumeric and
> numeric)
> to avoid the following error:
>
> Error in names(tresults2) <- c("Statistic ", "Value") :
>   'names' attribute [2] must be the same length as the vector [1]

You tried to give a name to a column that do not exist (the second one you
called "value"). You can check that using str(tresults2).
The name of the columns should not (well, I don't see how) interfere with
the type (or class) they contain.

You can create a Value column by using tresults2$Value <- your_value

> Am I to use c( , ) or list( , ) with a dataframe?

You picked the right one ( c() )... to give the names, I guess this is what
you were asking.

Cheers,
Etienne