[R] Fisher's exact test

James Allsopp jamesaallsopp at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 17 18:13:42 CEST 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to run Fisher's Exact test on the data below, but I'm not
sure how interpret the data shown. Can someone tell me what this is
saying? Looking at the numbers it should be that there's no significant
difference between the HDL and LDL, but a p-value of 1 seems high. Is
the low value in the LDL unbound making the test unstable and should I
be using an alternative?

Best regards
James

> data <-
matrix(c(27,8,9,2),nr=2,dimnames=list(c("HDL","LDL"),c("Bound","Unbound")))
> data
    Bound Unbound
HDL    27       9
LDL     8       2
> fisher.test(data)

	Fisher's Exact Test for Count Data

data:  data
p-value = 1
alternative hypothesis: true odds ratio is not equal to 1
95 percent confidence interval:
 0.06629276 4.88625959
sample estimates:
odds ratio