[R] Logistic regression and R

G. Jay Kerns gkerns at ysu.edu
Fri Jul 31 01:49:10 CEST 2009

Dear Carlos,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Carlos López<natorro at fisica.unam.mx> wrote:
> Hello everybody :-)
>
> I have some data that I want to model with a logistic regression, most of
> the independent variables are numeric and the only dependent is categorical,
> I was thinking that I could apply a logistic regression using glm but I
> wanted to deepen my knowledge of this so I tried to do some reading and
> found the "iris" dataset, now I would like to ask two things, first if you
> know of any bibliography to read more about the logistic regression and R so
> I could understand and interpret better the output,

See the following

https://home.comcast.net/~lthompson221/

and the following specific link on that page:

https://home.comcast.net/~lthompson221/Splusdiscrete2.pdf

which is a manual to accompany Agresti's _Categorical Data Analysis_.
In particular, you may want to check out Chapter 5 (and also some of
4).

>and second, what could I
> do when I have some independent variables that are not only numerical but
> categorical too, i.e. mixed (categorical and numerical), can I still use a
> logistic regression?

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  See page 78.

Hope this helps,
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
VoIP: gjkerns at ekiga.net
E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu