[R] Table of Summaries

sedm1000 gdoran at mit.edu
Wed Jun 3 01:41:10 CEST 2009

Apologies for the novice question, but this is likely beyond my google
searching range..

I am trying to create a table from the summaries of a file. The 2 column
data table looks like;

Harry  335/335
Harry  124/506
Harry  124/506
Dick   133
Tom    335/335
Tom    335/335

with 1000 unique values in col 1, 300 unique in col 2. The  'summary'
doesn't seem to handle this many values well.

I would like to summarise this data in a table that reads the number of
occurences of the values of col 2  for each unique name in col 1...

Along the lines...

          335/335  124/506  133
Tom        2            0            0
Dick        0            0            1
Harry       1            2            0

I hope I can trouble someone for their expert advice on what is likely a
trivial matter...
Many thanks.