[R] Question on implementing RandomForest

Allan Engelhardt allane at cybaea.com
Wed Jun 3 11:06:01 CEST 2009

To get the prediction in the database see help("predict.randomForest").
This will allow you to score the existing data: you then export the
scores to the database using "RODBC" or similar package.  This is what
most people mean when the say they want to get the model into the database.

If you really want the model out so you can execute the model in the
database (on new data not previously known to R) then either

1. Use the "pmml" package wich does have support for "randomForest" and
consult your database for how to execute PMML models (also see
http://www.dmg.org/ for more on PMML), or

[1.b. If your database is not supporting PMML directly, consider
something like Zementis ADAPA http://www.zementis.com/ or another
similar product, or]

2. Upgrade (!) to PostgreSQL, install the PL/R extension
(http://www.joeconway.com/plr/), and run R directly in your database as
a stored procedure or trigger language.  (Neat.)

Allan