[R] Excel Export in a beauty way

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Jun 3 15:54:58 CEST 2009

Hi,

I would just add, for myself, not for others who have developed R to
Excel export packages, that the efficient export of data from R to a
native Excel file is the priority. Formatting (columns, fonts, colors,
etc.) in the resultant spreadsheets (for me) was not.

There are also some functional restrictions relative to what can be
done in the process of creating the Excel file, where Excel is not
itself running or available.

For example, using the Perl package that I do for the WriteXLS
package, it is not possible to use the "AutoFit" capability to easily
set all column widths wide enough to visually allow for the data
contained within each. From the available Perl package documentation,
this appears to be a "run time" only feature, which means that it
would require Excel to be available and running and the user either
going through the column formatting menu, or creating a macro to
automate the process.

An alternative that I see would be to calculate, on a column-by-column
basis, for each individual worksheet created, the maximum character
length of all cell entries in the column and then set each column
width individually. That would appear to work, but only in the case
where the default font (Arial 10 without any formatting such as bold,
italic, etc.) is being used. The challenge of course is that Arial is
a variable width font, which means that this approach would be
inexact. However, this may be something that I can look into adding in
a future version, perhaps with some appropriate 'padding' in the
column width setting that would result in minimal wasted space.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz