[R] "time series", "longitudinal data" or "trajectories"

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Sat Jun 6 00:34:35 CEST 2009

At 04:02 PM 6/5/2009, Christophe Genolini wrote:
>Hi the list
>
>Strictly speaking, this is not a "R" question, but I need the
>information for the
>creation of a package. My question is about vocabulary: What is the
>difference between
>"time series", "longitudinal data" and "trajectories"?
>
>Sincerely
>
>Christophe

"Longitudinal" data are measurements over long periods of time, often
at irregular periods, but consistent across subjects.

"Repeated measures" data are replicates at the same point in time, or
over a short period of time (e.g., laboratory experiments).

"Time series" typically have constant increments of time and
typically a stochastic character, although this term might be
considered all-encompassing for all measurements at different times.

"Trajectory" implies a continuous curve in time, as opposed to
discrete times. "Trajectory" also implies an underlying causal model,
as it is a term from kinematics.

I hope this helps.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: ral at lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"