[R] Help needed: Fraction for Histogram > 1 ???

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 22 23:22:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, charles78 wrote:

> It is not the case as you described.  In any case, the total area should be 1
> and labeled fraction on y axis should be far less than 1, since I have more
> than 10000 data points.  I also test differerent bin size by change the
> break.

Try reading Greg's response again.  Then calculate the area of one of the bars
in your histogram, remembering that the area of a rectangle is not the same as
its height, but is the width times height.  If the area of the bar is greater than
1, then you can report a problem.

       -thomas

> I draw the graph using only 1 group, the same result was obtained.
>
> Any othe suggestion?
>
> Charles.
>
> Greg Snow-2 wrote:
>>
>> When freq=FALSE then the y axis is not the proportion in each group (what
>> I am assuming you mean by fraction), but rather is scaled so that the
>> total area of the histogram is 1 (making comparing to theoretical
>> densities easier).  If all the data values are between 0 and 1, then the
>> height of at least one bar needs to be >= 1 for the total area to equal 1.
>>
>> If you want the y-axis to show relative frequency (proportion, fraction,
>> etc.), then you either need to plot the y-axis yourself or use a different
>> function than 'hist'.
>>
>> --
>> Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
>> Statistical Data Center
>> Intermountain Healthcare
>> greg.snow at imail.org
>> 801.408.8111

==
>>> postscript("Figure.eps", paper="letter", horizontal=FALSE)
>>> par(mfrow=c(3,3))
>>> par(omi=c(2,0.2,1.8,0.2), mai=c(0.4, 0.4, 0.5, 0.1) )
>>>
>>> my.input <- read.table("input.data", header=FALSE, sep="\t")
>>> my.input.exp <- read.table("exp.data", header=FALSE, sep="\t")
>>>
>>> hist(my.input.exp[,2], breaks=40,freq = FALSE,xlab="", border =
>>> "grey30",
>>> ylab="", main="")
>>> hist(my.input[,2], breaks=40,freq = FALSE,xlab="", ylab="", main="",