[R] Spatial Statistics on Grids

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 23 23:51:02 CEST 2009

Peter:

Definitely check out the sp package and the rgdal package -- these will
allow you ACCESS to the raster data, but can you be more specific about
what sort of "spatial distributions" you are talking about?  There are a
lot of "non-spatial" packages in R which could be used to generate the
sort of statistics you might be interested in once your data is
"properly formatted" (e.g. in the description you have below, you might
use rgdal to help covert the data to "vector" format, e.g. subset out
all "1"s and make a data frame of x,y,value of the cell).  After all,
many "spatial" statistics are just analyses with two predictors
variables (x and y) -- there's not necessarily anything unique to
spatial data analysis once you get past data format.

--j