[R] what happened to the xlsReadWrite package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 08:48:33 CEST 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, David Scott wrote:

> Andrew Yee wrote:
>> A naive question:  what happened to the xlsReadWrite package?
>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/xlsReadWrite/
>>
>> It says that it was removed from the CRAN repository.

Note that it was archived, not removed entirely.  That is done
with packages that no longer install and we don't get an update.

The immediate problem with xlsReadWrite was that it was Windows-only
and would not install under Windows in pre-2.9.0.

>> Are there any plans for it be available again?

The second issue was binary code in the package which is at least
heavily frowned on in the CRAN source repository (we host BRugs
elsewhere for that reason).

> There was a problem with proprietary code.

Only in so far as it was binary.  There are a number of CRAN packages
with non-open-source code.

> Pick up the latest version from Hans-Peter Suter's website
>
> http://treetron.googlepages.com/

Which says the problem was the binary code.