[R] Installing the Rstem package

Maria I. Tchalakova maria.tchalakova at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:29:43 CET 2009

Hello,

thanks a lot for the replies. I've installed the binary for R-2.8.x
available at:
http://www.statistik.uni-dortmund.de/~ligges/Rstem_0.3-1.zip

However, when I try using some of the functions, such as
getStemLanguages() or wordStem(), I get:

> getStemLanguages()
Error: could not find function "getStemLanguages"

or

> words = c("sing", "singing", "singer")
> wordStem(words, language = "english")
Error: could not find function "wordStem"

Why do I get this? Haven't I installed the package correctly? I've
done this using the R Gui: "Packages" --> "Install package(s) from
local zip files ...", have chosen the .zip file, which I've downloaded
from the URL you sent me, and I got:

> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
package 'Rstem' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
updating HTML package descriptions

Do I need to do something else? I receive the same results after
installing (in this way) the the binary for R-2.7.x.

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> b) A few are available from CRAN extras (one of the default repositories on Window), and I've added Rstem.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "CRAN extras". I have
googled and found this page with binaries checks for Windows, but
there is no Rstem package there, and it is just a "check" (no files
which I could download):
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/checkSummaryWin.html

Regards