[R] popular R packages

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Sun Mar 8 00:10:36 CET 2009

i have kept r installed on more than ten computers during the past few
years, some of them running win + more than one linux distro, all of
them having r, most often installed from a separate download.

i know of many cases where students download r for the purpose of a
course in statistics -- often an introductory course for students who
otherwise have little to do with stats. some of them do it more than
once during the semester, and many of them never use r again.

taking into account that basic statistics courses are taught to most
university students and that r is surely the most popular free
statistical computing environment, download-based usage estimates may be
a bit optimistic, unless 'usage' is taken to include 'learn-pass-forget'.

vQ